Take your smile from gummy to gorgeous with esthetic crown lengthening. This procedure is ideal for patients with large, highly visible gums. Show off more of your pearly whites!
I Have a Gummy Smile- What Are My Treatment Options?
When you smile, what do you see, gums or teeth? If your large gums are overshadowing your smile, you may have a gummy smile. Come see us to discuss your treatment options.
For a gummy smile, one of our favorite treatments is a procedure known as esthetic crown lengthening, a type of gum contouring. This procedure shapes and enhances the gum line contours and trims away excess gum tissue to expose more of the tooth. It can be performed on one or more teeth, even the entire mouth if necessary. We recommend this procedure for patients with large, visible gums or for patients with small teeth.
There are many benefits to crown lengthening including:
- Correct gum line irregularities for a more uniform gum appearance
- Lengthen the appearance of the tooth
- Improve the appearance of the gum line and its contours
- Treat gum disease by removing excess gum tissue and reducing the depth of periodontal pockets
- Improve tooth to gum ratio
Esthetic Crown Lengthening- What to Expect from Treatment
Crown lengthening is performed in our offices using a local anesthetic and /or sedation. Small incisions are made in the gum tissue and the excess tissue is removed. Some patients will need to have some bone tissue removed. This procedure can be performed on a single tooth, multiple teeth, on either the upper or lower arch, or on the full mouth. The treatment area is carefully rinsed and cleansed and the tissues are sutured. You’ll be able to go home the same day as your procedure.
After treatment, patients report feeling tenderness and swelling in the treatment area. We’ll give you specific recovery instructions and will check in on you a few times to gauge healing and assess progress. For some patients, crown lengthening will be the only treatment needed. Other patients may require other procedures in addition to crown lengthening.
Esthetic Crown Lengthening FAQs
Improve your gummy smile with crown lengthening. Contact our offices to schedule your consultation with one of our Austin, TX oral surgeons today. While you wait for your appointment, check out some commonly asked questions below:
- How Can Crown Lengthening Improve My Oral Health?- Although many patients choose esthetic crown lengthening for cosmetic reasons, the procedure can improve and benefit your oral health. Removing excess or damaged gum tissue can reduce gingival pockets, areas on the gum line where bacteria can hide, and decay can develop. Exposing more tooth can make it easier to keep your teeth clean.
- Is Crown Lengthening Right for Me? – Crown lengthening is an excellent treatment option for many patients. If you want to reduce your gummy smile, come see us and find out if this treatment is right for you. We generally recommend that patients be in good health. Perfect dental health is not necessary to be a candidate for this procedure. Many patients use crown lengthening as part of their treatment plan to improve tooth and gum health.
- How Do I Choose a Surgeon for My Crown Lengthening? – If you need crown lengthening, we recommend working with a trained and experienced oral surgeon. Since oral surgeons perform surgical procedures on a regular basis, they are often better equipped than a standard dentist for complex treatments like crown lengthening.
- What Is Recovery Like After Crown Lengthening? – Recovery timelines vary after crown lengthening, depending on the extent of the treatment. We may require a soft foods diet and careful dental care for the first few weeks.
- Is Crown Lengthening Painful? – Crown lengthening is a surgical procedure and many patients experience discomfort, but the soreness usually is very managable. Pain medications can be used to keep you comfortable after treatment. We’ll explain your options for over-the-counter and prescription pain relief before treatment.
- How Long Do Crown Lengthening Results Last?- Crown lengthening results are long lasting. Once removed, the gum tissue doesn’t typically grow back. Regular dental cleanings, daily flossing, and good home dental care will help keep your teeth and gums healthy.
- Can Crown Lengthening Be Performed with Other Procedures?- Crown lengthening can be done on its own or paired with other procedures. Many of our dental implant patients will use crown lengthening to restore an even gum line after implant placement.
A beautiful smile starts with healthy, even gums. If you have a gummy smile, come see us to discuss your treatment options. Call today and schedule your gum contouring consultation at Hill Country Oral Surgery.